Friday 15 March 2013

Apple release 10.8.3 update for Mountain Lion

Apple have finally released the 10.8.3 update for Mountain Lion after three and a half months of beta testing.
You can read the official release notes here.

However I know that what most of you reading this want to know is: Does it support PC graphics cards?

Well, the good news is it should support Nvidia GTX 500 and GTX 600 series cards as well as the new K series Quadros and it should also support AMD's radeon 7000 series cards.

The bad news is that I'm travelling at the moment so I won't have a chance to install it on my Mac Pro with a GTX 660ti for a couple of weeks :-(

I would ask any of you who have a PC card and do the upgrade to let me know in the comments so at least others can see what cards are working.

Thanks very much and I look forward to reading your comments.

Neil

3 comments:

  1. Hi Neil. I have a GTX670 running Smoke.

    Before update: no Login window. Smoke had some issues with Source node.

    After update: Login window. No more issues with Smoke.

    My card its an EVGA, no MiniDisplay port. Just got a Display port to MiniDisplay port cable from Circuit Assembly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Neil, great post. I've got Mountain lion up and running on a Mac Pro 3,1 (2008) with a PC version of the Geforce 660 Ti, 2gb EVGA card. It's runs smooth as butter,screams. Steps taken:
    1. I installed ML, I did a fresh download of a 10.8.2 dvd image (app store) on my macbook and burned a dvd.
    2. Then downloaded the 10.8.3 update and installed it.
    3. Boot...:)

    I upgraded from a 8800GT (also pc version flashed) which served me for 6 years. Before in 10.8.1 and 10.8.2 I got strange screen artifacts in Final Cut Pro, FCPX and Premiere CS6. Basically making it a hell to get anything done as my secondary monitor (which I use for fullHD output monitoring) started flickering after approx. 15min in each of the 3 NLE suites. Now it's just a joy to work with, the only thing I've noticed is that OPENCL is slower then CUDA, so FCPX is a slower then CS6 when I used 4 layers of ProRes, full raster 1920x1080 with accelerated effects. Strangly enough, FCP Studio 3 (7.0.3) fly's...it's just so smooth. And by using ProRes for renders and previews all my cores are utilised to the MAX. I could not be happier, a dream machine!

    Al the best, keep up the great blog.

    Mick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mick,
      Sounds great, thanks for letting me know.
      All the best,
      Neil

      Delete